• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

New E51 2008 S3 'X'

johnboddington

Active Newbie
Premium Member
South West
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
John
Elgrand
E51
Region
South West
Hello all,

I joined the forum last summer after deciding an Elgrand would likely be my next vehicle. I had owned a Bongo for 10 years plus prior to this and it had finally succumbed to the rust and ran out of MOT at the end of 2023. My old trusty Bongo was fantastic (if a little unrefined...) and we have countless memories of trips and holidays in that bus.

This time I wanted something with the same practicality, but a bit newer and nicer! I also wanted a vehicle where the rear seats folded up to the sides for luggage space, but then can easily be folded down for seating. Only the early bongos had this seating arrangement, 2/3rds of them out there have a sliding bench seat at the back which just gets in the way IMHO!

So after becoming a premium member and reading, reading and reading all the great information on this forum, I had decided an Elgrand was for me. I knew the fuel consumption would be terrible but my mileage isn't high so it didn't worry me too much. The old 1995 permanent 4wd diesel Bongo was more economical though :joy:

I really felt I wanted to choose a vehicle and import it to be the first UK owner. This is something I had no experience with whatsoever and was a bit nervous about however also found the whole idea very exciting.

After getting some recommendations on here for an importer, I decided on Adrian @Winchester to import for me. I gave him a list of some of the options I liked and what I didn't want.
Typically my favourite colour - the blueish grey seems to be pretty uncommon. Plus my favourite interior - the silver grey leather is uncommon also!!
I wanted a high spec, late S2 or S3, not white or black, not full black leather, high grade. 2wd was fine for me as was 2.5 or 3.5.

Soon @Winchester started sending me potential cars to bid on. Very early on, an unbelievably good example came up with everything, 4.5 grade, 20k miles ish, expresso leather. I bid my full budget but unfortunately it went for quite a bit higher. Adrian did say it would cause a stir with the dealers!

Soon after, another potential came up. This was a 2008 S3, X model, 62k miles, grade 4, silver, light cloth interior.
It wasn't as high a spec as I had initially desired but everything else looked great so i had a bid, but this time a bit more conservatively and not my full budget. The auction was actually the day before the Obon holiday in Japan so apparently a good day to buy. And I won it, well within budget!!

IMG-20230811-WA0002.jpgIMG-20230811-WA0006.jpgIMG-20230811-WA0008.jpg

Adrian was then brilliant, arranging the shipping, keeping me updated and picking it up when it finally arrived 3 months later. Car was undersealed (condition immaculate on arrival!), rear brake pads, front suspension arm rear bushes and MOTd.

IMG-20231114-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20231114-WA0005.jpgIMG-20231114-WA0004.jpg
After waiting for a silly amount of time for the DVLA to register the vehicle it was finally mine and I picked it up in January.

Since then I have had a full service, filters, PCV, spark plugs, loctited inlet manifold screws, front cats removed, new Wolfrace alloys and tyres and finally a new rear brake calliper.

IMG-20231207-WA0009.jpg20240407_144455.jpg20240407_144444.jpg20240324_181131.jpg

The car is fantastic. I love it! Drive is wonderful, looks are amazing, I really am so pleased with it.
Although it's a slightly lower spec than i had initially wanted, I'm completely happy 🙂.

I have a few questions to follow but wanted to make a proper introduction.

Thankyou to Adrian @Winchester again. Very honest and helpful throughout.

Thanks everybody!

John

Thankyou everyone!

Claire my better half and our 1 week old baby Annabelle are also enjoying it very much. Claire said it's more comfortable and relaxing than our front room sofa :joy:

Back