• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

"Tractor" diary. Elgrand from Siberia. E50.

5cbf06f58c8a9036361e00ee748401cd92b94451.jpg
That’s why I like older diesels.

newer ones/ after 2010 are all have sensors around EGR and coolant/oil lines connected.
Absolute pigs to work on.

Below is a 2015 Diesel with 60k miles on the clock.

Edit: and that’s only intake elbow past the ‘throttle’, I can only imagine how the intake and valves look like. That’s why I’m getting water/methanol to clean this sh|t.
My vans just had new egr and egr cooler assy replaced under warranty with scary price from dealer, next time it won't be under warranty 🤔

True, I’m old enough to remember how proper diesel smelled like. What we have now is mixes, refined and full of all sorts of detergents, that might clean your fuel rail but shouldn’t be burned, also low sulphur so there’s no good lubrication on piston/rings/cylinder wall.

DPF itself is good enough and with adblue/DEF it’s cleaner than most petrol engines.

EGR as mentioned (cooling/ efficiency(lower burned volume) can be replaced with water methanol injection , which will have same effect (less NOx) .

I would never touch the DPF as it does the job of keeping my backside clean and smelling good 🤣

Do you add two stroke oil to your diesel? I would suggest to do it, your piston rings will thank you. Would not do it on modern diesels but older ones have no issue with it.
We often add 2-stroke oil to diesel, but I won’t do this. The engine is too expensive to repair too. In winter, I can add anti-gel to the tank to prevent the fuel from turning into paraffin.Diesel runs smoother with 2-stroke oil, but I won’t risk feeding the engine with oil)

Not sure what diesel additives you have available in Russia but here Redex/Wynns/Millers they all have the compounds that are in two stroke oil apart from some sort of naphta.

Oh yeah I forgot about how tough your winters are haha

We often add 2-stroke oil to diesel, but I won’t do this. The engine is too expensive to repair too. In winter, I can add anti-gel to the tank to prevent the fuel from turning into paraffin.Diesel runs smoother with 2-stroke oil, but I won’t risk feeding the engine with oil)

I’m still sort of on the fence when it comes to v6, on one hand buttery smooth and great performance but on the other repairs are usually twice as expensive and complicated😄 straight six would have been much better choice, especially for diesel.

I’m still sort of on the fence when it comes to v6, on one hand buttery smooth and great performance but on the other repairs are usually twice as expensive and complicated😄 straight six would have been much better choice, especially for diesel.
Nissan had a line of indestructible inline 6s. SD33 is an ancient engine and brother of TD42.. Cast iron block, cast iron head, timing belt on gears, in-line mechanical pump. In the non-turbo version it produces 115 hp. The traction is like that of a steam locomotive. I once had a 95 patrol with a TD42.. This is a legendary engine!

Back