• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel gauge recall

thanks @kevinb @Reverend RobP - i will contact the importer and find out what they do\did - so one last question then, the new dash i've fitted which is reading 175,548 km - do you think that is just someone elses car's mileage (i.e from the car the dash was taken from)? and that figure can't be coming from anywhere else, like the ECU or anything, and its just a co-incidence that it happens to be almost the same as mine ?

i.e if i put that dash in a 30,000km car, it would still show 175,548km ?

The odometer reading is stored in a chip on the circuit board contained in the speedo cluster. So it has nothing to do with the ECU or anything else on the vehicle. đź‘Ť So if you put it in a 30,000km car it would show 175,548km.

Don't ask me how I know.

nice one, thanks for clearing that up! gee-whiz! what a kerfuffle.
so they must have manually done something to make it show the number of corresponding miles then on import. crazy.

yes, its quite scary - that with this model, based on how easy it is to take out, and buy another cluster - you could easily (without re-writing eeprom knowledge) get a car to report different mileage - lesser so for selling on

im glad i actually have the Km/h from VX report, when it was exported, as i know its within ballpark based on 2/3 years usage since - before i bought.

right, fitted new gubbins to original dash - very simple, unplug the fuel relay connector, then its 8 clips to take back cover off, and fit to original - took 60 seconds.

interestingly - fuel now reports 249km to empty instead of 257km, but plenty more than 198km before fitting the module.

@Sonic_Attack i've added the recall part, i'll see what happens in 450-odd km (is that bad milage for a tank?).
Two questions: when the engine is off, should the needle settle back to empty (mine doesn't). Also how is the low petrol warning screen normally cleared (mine comes on every time even though the tank is full)
@Sonic_Attack yes it goes to zero on the dial.

@Sonic_Attack i've added the recall part, i'll see what happens in 450-odd km (is that bad milage for a tank?).
Two questions: when the engine is off, should the needle settle back to empty (mine doesn't). Also how is the low petrol warning screen normally cleared (mine comes on every time even though the tank is full)
Heyya, 450k around Auckland is probably ok. I wouldn’t expect more than that.

I feel getting a completely accurate reading at top and bottom is getting the ohm reading of the sender correct in relation to the level of fuel in your tank.

I haven’t bothered filling mine up yet, I actually used my bike to commute, I started driving it Monday 6th to work and back 6km per day. I’ve been on orange light the entire time including having fuel warning on screen. I’m just waiting for red warning and thus far I haven’t run out of gas and the needle is well below the bottom mark. When I started using it may 6th the needle was practically on the bottom mark.

I feel that red warning has to come soon because that’s 54KM on the fuel warning which is probably loosely where it should be, but must be damn close to the red warning. I’ll keep going till that happens.

My needle gauge has been very consistent though. Previously it was showing from 1/4 through 1/2 tank when I’d run out of gas.

Once I establish the bottom is where it should be, I’ll worry about what it shows with a full tank. Although me personally the real worry is where the bottom of the tank is showing.

I recall you having to replace the actual needle on the cluster. That’s not something I’m familiar with and probably introduces a few other issues in relation to an accurate gauge.

When I tested both clusters on my car, both displayed the same information. The actual needle gauges registered identical, by eye at least. And both showed the same fuel remain on screen which was 36km from memory.

cheers. i think ive put my needle on incorrectly, as it reads half full when i turn it off. it hasnt budged from full yet, but i think when i get to half a tank it'll start moving. I'll wait and see. btw: pickapart takanini have a 2005 black e51 in if you needed anything off it.

cheers. i think ive put my needle on incorrectly, as it reads half full when i turn it off. it hasnt budged from full yet, but i think when i get to half a tank it'll start moving. I'll wait and see. btw: pickapart takanini have a 2005 black e51 in if you needed anything off it.
Or once your yellow warning on screen comes up shift needle to line up with bottom mark.

For what it’s worth my gas needle sits at same position as the temp gauge needle when vehicle ignition is turned off. Around 5mm below the bottom line.

Be interested to hear how many K’s others get from yellow to red warning.

Back